Dance etc. was created by experienced dancer and choreographer, Kate Buchan (formally Kate Jamieson), in October 2010. Since then Dance etc. has grown into one of Perth's TOP dance schools due to its low-key, relaxed and non-pushy approach to dance tuition. We take pride in our school, from our instructors, students and families, which all come together to make our school a positive and happy place to be.
We are proud to offer THE BEST and most unique dance experience in Perth. We are dedicated to teaching the education that accompanies the skilled artistry of dance in both a fun and nurturing environment. Whether you have big dreams of becoming a professional dancer or are simply looking to have fun and stay fit through dance... you'll find it here! We encourage all of our students to make new friends and build strong connections with their Dance etc. peers and we have created our syllabus, structured our timetable and designed our studios in a way that supports and encourages social connections!
It is our goal to create a sense of community within our school where children feel safe to be who they are, grow and be challenged in an environment that feels just like their second family! We believe all kids should dream big, but that those dreams shouldn't cost you a fortune, & that's why Dance etc. aims to provide an affordable service by not just keeping our tuition fee's reasonable but ensuring the extra costs like costumes and concerts are kept down too! We also do not put any pressure on families to take part in our end of year concert/s, so although we encourage students to experience the thrill and excitement of being part of a live performance, we make these events optional - not compulsory!
We are proud to offer professional dance tuition with many classes boasting multiple teachers to ensure you are learning the correct technique at a safe progression with plenty of one on one time without getting left behind at the back of the class! All classes have a maximum student capacity and once this is reached, all future enrolments are put onto a waiting list. Your child deserves the right to one on one time with their teacher and being mindful of student/teacher ratios ensures that your child is getting the most out of their dance tuition.
Dance etc is proud to have a Spirit Policy that prioritises inclusivity, equality & respect throughout all aspects of our school. We welcome families of all backgrounds and ethnicities and do not tolerate any forms of discrimination. We expect parents, families, students and staff to respect each other regardless of abilities or differences. Through our studio spirit we also recognise the rich history of dance stemming from many cultures around the world & we pay tribute to this through conversations in class and continued education. We are delighted to welcome new faces to our Dance Family & look forward to seeing you at the studio soon!
Located on Balcatta Road (between Erindale Rd & Reid Hwy) our Studio boasts an ample 500sq/m of space which hosts three (3) large dance studios, a large student lounge and three accessible bathrooms. Each studio has reverse cycle air-conditioning, sprung timber dance flooring and full length mirrors plus viewing windows and glass doors feature in all 3 of our studios.
Onsite we have 22 parking bays, and we operate kiss 'n ride during peak periods to ensure pick up and drop offs are smooth and efficient. Safety is a priority at Dance etc which is why we have CCTV in operation throughout our studios and around the perimeter of the facility.
We are proud to follow the "ETC" Core Values:
E | Encourage
We strive to encourage (not push) our students to be the very best versions of themselves. Not only do we encourage them to work hard and set goals with their performance journey, we also encourage them to build new friendships, think outside the box and see their potential in all aspects of life.
T | Technique
It is our commitment to ensure our students are not only learning at the highest standard, but that they are learning in an environment as unique and adaptable as they are. We do this by focusing on two elements of technique:
- Encouraging strong dance technique
- Challenging modern concepts and ideas
- Structuring classes to be challenging at the level of each individual student
- Providing students with unique and creative choreography
- Technique is taught in an age appropriate environment with concepts, music and costumes suitable to the age of the students
- Implementing proven teaching techniques suitable to the social, environmental and physical aspects of each age group
- Having a strong emphasis on building healthy relationships with their peers
- Building healthy and positive relationships with themselves
- Being reliable role models that stand by our core values and lead by example
- Offering a flexible learning environment where students can learn at their own pace
C | Community
We are committed to providing an inclusive, welcoming and safe environment where students, parents, families and our team are part of an important, wider community. We are proud to have built a community that is truthful and open with their information & procedures and strives to uphold only the highest of standards. We constantly strive to exceed expectations and go above and beyond to ensure students feel happy, nurtured, included and safe in our community. We promise to maintain an open and honest line of communication between parents, teachers, staff and directors and we welcome feedback at any time through the year.
CODE OF ETHICS
Dance etc. proudly complys with the guidelines and standards set by AusDance, Australia. We believe in setting a high standard of teaching in Perth and by doing so, families can be assured that their best interests and safety are our priority. We go above and beyond to ensure a safe space for children to grow and flourish & be supported to achieve their goals:
- All teachers and guest teachers have a valid Working With Children Check
- Dance etc. is covered by AON AusDance public liability and indemnity insurance
- Our School holds a current APRA music licence (paying the rights to play music in classes)
- Teachers and guest instructors have the relevant experience and/or training required to teach the particular dance style and teach safe dance practices. Our team are required to attend staff training sessions and encouraged and supported to further their education in the arts.
- Current and ongoing member of AusDance
- Our studio Director assists with AusDance Discussions about improved regulations for our industry
- There is always at least one member of our team present who holds a current first aid certificate (the vast majority of our team have First Aid certifications) & most of our faculty have training and qualifications in other areas of expertise (nursing, occupational therapy, physiotherapy, early childhood & education, personal training, psychology etc)
- Dance etc. encourages a positive & healthy lifestyle by leading from example
- Age appropriate class content including music, choreography and costuming
- Our reception is always staffed to ensure parents can reach us at all times that classes are operating. There is always someone to speak to if you have a concern, are running late for student pick up or if there is an emergency.
- Our premises have working CCTV inside each studio, waiting rooms and exterior of the building for added safety and protection (all CCTV comply with Australian Standards & Code of Practice)