Dance etc. was created by experienced dancer and choreographer, Kate Buchan (formally Kate Jamieson), in October 2010. In this short time Dance etc. has grown into one of Perth's TOP dance schools due to its low-key, relaxed and non-pushy approach to dance tuition.
In 2013 Dance etc. launched their first specialised facility in Balcatta however, due to the need for more space and updated facilities, they moved to a larger building in 2018 which hosts 500sq/m including three (3) large dance studios!
Dance etc. offers THE BEST and most unique dance experience in Perth. We are dedicated to teaching the education that accompanies the skilled artistry of dance in both a fun and nurturing environment. Whether you have big dreams of becoming a professional dancer or are simply looking to have fun and stay fit through dance... you'll find it here! We encourage all of our students to make new friends and build strong connections with their Dance etc. peers.
It is our goal to create a sense of community within our school where children feel safe to be who they are, grow and be challenged in an environment that feels just like their second family! We believe all kids should dream big, but that those dreams shouldn't cost you a fortune, & that's why Dance etc. aims to provide an affordable service by not just keeping our tuition fee's reasonable but ensuring the extra costs like costumes and concerts are kept down too! We also do not put any pressure on families to take part in our end of year concert/s, so although we encourage students to experience the thrill and excitement of being part of a live performance, we make these events optional - not compulsory!
We take pride in our school, from our instructors, students and families, which all come together to make our school a positive and happy place to be.
We are proud to offer professional dance tuition with many classes boasting multiple teachers to ensure you are learning the correct technique at a safe progression with plenty of one on one time without getting left behind at the back of the class! All classes have a maximum student capacity and once this is reached, all future enrolments are put onto a waiting list. Your child deserves the right to one on one time with their teacher and being mindful of student/teacher ratios ensures that your child is getting the most out of their dance tuition.
We are delighted to welcome new faces to our Dance Family & look forward to seeing you at the studio soon!
We are proud to follow the "ETC" Core Values:
E | Encourage
We strive to encourage (not push) our students to be the very best versions of themselves. Not only do we encourage them to work hard and set goals with their performance journey, we also encourage them to build new friendships, think outside the box and see their potential in all aspects of life.
T | Technique
It is our commitment to ensure our students are not only learning at the highest standard, but that they are learning in an environment as unique and adaptable as they are. We do this by focusing on two elements of technique:
- Encouraging strong dance technique
- Challenging modern concepts and ideas
- Structuring classes to be challenging at the level of each individual student
- Providing students with unique and creative choreography
- Technique is taught in an age appropriate environment with concepts, music and costumes suitable to the age of the students
- Implementing proven teaching techniques suitable to the social, environmental and physical aspects of each age group
- Having a strong emphasis on building healthy relationships with their peers
- Building healthy and positive relationships with themselves
- Being reliable role models that stand by our core values and lead by example
- Offering a flexible learning environment where students can learn at their own pace
C | Community
We are committed to providing an inclusive, welcoming and safe environment where students, parents, families and our team are part of an important, wider community. We are proud to have built a community that is truthful and open with their information & procedures and strives to uphold only the highest of standards. We constantly strive to exceed expectations and go above and beyond to ensure students feel happy, nurtured, included and safe in our community. We promise to maintain an open and honest line of communication between parents, teachers, staff and directors and we welcome feedback at any time through the year.
CODE OF ETHICS
Dance etc. proudly complys with the guidelines and standards set by AusDance, the governing body for dance education in Australia. We believe in setting a high standard of teaching in Perth and by doing so, families can be assured that their best interests and safety are our priority.
- All teachers and guest teachers have a valid Working With Children Check
- Dance etc. is fully covered by AON AusDance public liability and indemnity insurance
- The School holds a current APRA music licence (paying the rights to play music in classes)
- Teachers and guest instructors have the relevant experience and/or training required to teach the particular dance style and teach safe dance practices
- Current and ongoing member of AusDance
- Our team assists with AusDance Discussions about improved regulations for our industry
- There is always at least one member of our team present who holds a current first aid certificate (the vast majority of our team have First Aid certifications)
- Dance etc. encourages a positive & healthy lifestyle by leading from example
- Age appropriate class content including music, choreography and costuming
- Reception is always fully staffed to ensure parents can reach us at all times that classes are operating
- Our premises have working CCTV inside each studio, waiting rooms and exterior of the building for added safety and protection (all CCTV comply with Australian Standards & Code of Practice)